Ms. Bernstein graduated from the University of Florida with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminology and Law. Upon her graduation, Ms. Bernstein worked for the National Legal Aid and Defender Association prior to her entering the Columbus School of Law at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. While in law school, Ms. Bernstein was awarded the “Eleanor & James Clanton Haynes Memorial Law and Public Policy” fellowship, was a Senior Editor for a Law Journal, and volunteered for the Innocence Project investigating a case of wrongful conviction.
During law school, Ms. Bernstein also worked full-time as the Information Specialist for The Death Penalty Information Center where she delivered presentations about capital punishment to state, national and international organizations and even provided expert testimony before the Judiciary Committee of the Maryland House of Delegates. She graduated from the Columbus School of law cum laude in 2002.
Ms. Bernstein joined the Fairfax County Public Defender’s Office in 2003 where she zealously represented clients charged with everything from Reckless Driving and Driving While Intoxicated to abduction, rape, and murder. Ms. Bernstein was promoted to the position of Senior Assistant Public Defender, where she continued handling serious felonies in addition to training and supervising less experienced attorneys.
Ms. Bernstein Hough joined the Gordon Law Firm in 2007 where she took the responsibility of opening the firm’s Central Virginia office. In 2009 she opened her own law practice, Brisendine, Overland, Buster and Bernstein, P.C.. After the birth of their first child in 2010, Ms. Bernstein Hough left her firm to join her husband at Bernstein Hough, P.C.
Areas of Law Practice
- Criminal Defense Law
- DUI DWI Defense Law
- Traffic Violation Defense Law
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2012
- Virginia, 2002
- The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. (Cum Laude) – 2002
- Honors: “Eleanor & James Clanton Haynes Memorial Law and Public Policy” Fellowship Award
- Law Review: Executive Board, Journal of Contemporary Health Law and Policy, Executive Board
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida B.A. – 1995
- Major: Criminology and Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Legal Aid and Defender Association
- Chesterfield County Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Richmond Criminal Bar Association
Richmond Criminal Defense Attorney Paula R. Bernstein Hough
Richmond Criminal Defense Lawyer providing legal representation for criminal and traffic violations including reckless driving, speeding tickets, drug arrest, DUI and DWI.